Author Topic: Intermediate Handicap: Joe Major 0 - 3 Al Shaw  (Read 145 times)

Andy Teale

• Committee
  • Website Member
Intermediate Handicap: Joe Major 0 - 3 Al Shaw
« on: May 03, 2019, 10:37:17 PM »
Many thanks to BCI for hosting this final, played on the match table 7.

Joe attempting to retain the title he won last season and Al attempting to win the title in his first season. Plenty to play for.

Frame 1: 21 - 74

Both players taking a it easy in the opening exchanges, Al having a 21 point handicap advantage over Joe. After a number of safety shots the table starts to look difficult for scoring. Al, cueing well, settles the sooner potting a number of solid long balls to take a good 30 point lead with a few reds left. Joe trying hard to make inroads but with the reds safe it's tough going. Al keeps things safe and then at the end makes a very solid 22 clearance.

Frame 2: 41 - 63

Al's long game again helping him secure this frame, pulling out some great pots and keeping control of the table. Joe is has to be said not getting the running, missing a few reds by millimetres, rattling the jaws and staying put over the pockets. Al takes the frame to be one away from his first NBSA title.

Frame 3: 44 - 73

The balls more open this frame, Joe gets in with his first real scoring of the match so far -- making 21 and having a red near a black pocket with black on the spot and all the reds in good positions he misses. Al steps up and makes a good contribution to keep in front, again playing good saftey when running out of position. On the colours Al gets yellow and green to leave Joe needing snookers, Joe has several good attempts but Al eventually seals it with great pots on blue and pink to take the victory.

Well played Al and congrats on your first NBSA title, hard luck Joe but a great effort to retain the trophy.
Andy Teale
Nottingham Snooker Academy

Robert Garratt

• Committee
  • Website Member
Re: Intermediate Handicap: Joe Major 0 - 3 Al Shaw
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 08:50:24 AM »
Well played mate fully deserved you beat 4 solid players to win the comp defo a handicap change coming up although tonight to handicap didn’t really make a difference you did what you had to do against a very below par
Joe who just didn’t get going but fair play to Al played the right shots and when he got his chances make solid contributions to never really be under any pressure
Robert Garratt
Spot On Sneinton

Andy Carnell

• Captains
  • Website Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 12:03:40 PM »
Unlucky Joe in trying to defend his title the won last year,well done Al on winning the competition this year..Just like Rob has said Al your handicap will now change,Joe's went from 21 to 0  when he won last year,so enjoy playing next season off Scratch Al and hopefully your good form will continue.

James Robinson

• Committee
  • Website Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 01:55:02 PM »
Well played Al totally deserved, but in agreement with rob and Andy I think a HCP change is in order.

Unlucky Joe
James FRUIT SHOOT Robinson
BCI Masters Team Captain

Allen Shaw

• NBSA Member
  • Website Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 03:16:53 PM »
Thanks guys im still buzzing after wining my first snooker title like most of you know iv played pool for many years so to move over and win a singles title is awsome ive learnt alot in my first season and hope to get better, happy for the handicap change will make me put more hours in i knew joe was a good player but jus did wat i needed to thanks to Andy for takin time to ref its muchly appriciated and Rob for getting me to join this craking league with great bunch of guys

Dan Moll

• Captains
  • Website Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 10:01:41 AM »
Well done Al, I’d of put my house on you winning off your handicap!! Definitely scratch player  :)